We don’t like to cause a scene here at 707 Resource Management, we like to help our clients to reduce their waste management costs and make their plans more efficient and effective. Sometimes, though, it helps to see some facts and figures in order to really appreciate how and why changes need to be made. These five facts are about showing how more needs to be done to encourage good waste habits in the UK and why it is so important.
- The UK hospitality sector – including pubs, restaurants, caterers and the such – could save £724 million a year by tackling food waste. We have written about ways for you to reduce your food waste as well as how food scraps can be used to make delicious recipes.
- With a target of 50% waste being recycled by 2020, the government is facing an uphill battle. 2014 statistics suggest that progress has halted around the 44% mark.
- According to waste charity WRAP; “Nearly 25% of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that’s taken to household waste recycling centres could be re-used, worth around £200m gross a year.” (WRAP – http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/facts-and-figures)
- The RSPCA receives over 7,000 calls a year because of waste-related incidents involving animals. From treading on broken glass to suffocating in plastic bags, there are so many ways in which animals can suffer when rubbish isn’t being disposed of or collected properly.
- Incorrectly disposing of items down the toilet causes massive issues. Items such as sanitary products, wet wipes and cigarettes aren’t supposed to be flushed, yet on average, 35 wet wipes alone were picked up for every kilometre of beach cleaned in 2014.
These are a few of the things that you may not think of necessarily and whilst your staff are unlikely to be throwing glass out of their office windows, they could well be inadvertently flushing non-flushable items whilst an irregular waste collection service could result in your industrial bins over-flowing and causing major environmental problems. We can work with you to figure out a waste management plan that fits the needs of your business, from providing bins for all types of waste to arranging regular collections and an online account that you can easily manage. Call us today to speak to one of our experts.